A Simple Favor Movie Review - September 2018



A Simple Favor

Starring:



This is a review of the new movie released in theatres September 14th called A Simple Favor. It's listed as a dramatic thriller but I consider it a comedic mystery! What a lovely surprise, this was such a funny movie which had the entire audience laughing. I dragged my husband to see this movie, he probably thought it was a chick flick and it turned out we both loved it. This is a must see, in the theatre not really necessary, but if you can swing it go for it don't put off this little gem. I give it four out of five stars. I'm quite the critic so very few movies will receive five out of five stars from me so keep that in mind. Check out the trailer to see if this movie piques your interest:



Anna Kendrick does an excellent job of playing Stephanie the stay at home Mom who has a YouTube channel featuring Mom type videos including cooking, baking, crafts, etc. The movie starts off showing the perspective of looking at a computer with one of Stephanie's YouTube videos playing. Immediately my husband and I look at each other in fright because the scariest thing would be having to sit through another movie that shows the entire movie from the view of a computer. We really didn't enjoy that in the last movie we saw, Searching. Thankfully, this movie leaves the view of the computer and returns to a normal perspective. What a relief! It only returns to the computer viewpoint when showing Stephanie's videos. Stephanie meets Emily played by Blake Lively while they are picking up their children from school and they start spending time together which is very entertaining. Listening to their conversations on the sofa was quite enjoyable. It was fun to watch their dynamic. I'm guessing the blooper roll will have these two laughing while trying to keep a straight face during these scenes. The first half of the movie while entertaining wasn't as exciting as the second half when Emily goes missing. Books make for such fantastic screenplays because they have to pack in so many scenes into a 1 1/2 to 3-hour movie. This one is two hours long and it's the perfect length. The wardrobe department did an excellent job, the outfits paint the picture of the characters very well. I also enjoyed the soundtrack. Throughout the movie, you will find yourself laughing. The mystery of how Emily went missing was entertaining and not easy to figure out. It was especially entertaining watching Stephanie trying to figure it out. This is when the movie really takes off and  it continues to be exciting through to the end. The ending was rewarding and funny. There is also a scene with Linda Cardellini that is fabulous.

If you haven't seen this movie yet make time to see it and if movie tickets aren't in your budget put it on your DVD rental wishlist now so you don't forget. Most theatres have discounted tickets on Tuesdays, so if your budget is tight look into that. The info is usually listed on the theatre's website. More and more movie theatre have recliners, so it's more comfortable to sit through a movie. You might want to check with your local theatre to see if they have upgraded. Many also offer reserved seats so you can pick your seat assignment in advance which I love. It also gives you an idea of how busy the theatre will be. Movies are currently running 15-20 minutes of commercials at the movie's start time, so if you are running late don't worry. What's the last movie you rented or saw in the theatre?

Check out my last two movie reviews for Crazy Rich Asians & SearchingFeel free to browse around my blog before you leave. Check out my Pinterest Board for links to my other blog posts that may interest you along with my Movie Reviews Pinterest BoardBe a pal and share this blog post with your friends via Twitter & Facebook:



Follow this blog via Facebook
&
Have a PEACEful Day!



5 comments

Unknown said...

I honestly thought this was a "scary" movie. Now I might need to see! I was also thinking about checking out the book....

Nicole said...

I am SO happy you reviewed this movie, I have been dying to see it since I saw the trailers, but was concerned it would be too scary for me (I'm a thriller fan, but not scary). I love both Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively, so this sounds like the perfect movie for me. Thanks so much!

Just out of curiosity, are there any movies as of late you have given five out of five stars?

Wendy Webster said...

yw, you'll have fun! Checking my Netflix list, lately: Baby Driver, The Secret Life of Pets. Prior: Sully, A Hologram for the King, A Walk in the Woods, Love the Coppers, Burnt. Yeah, I only give 1-3 movies a year 5 stars. Series - Grace & Frankie, Bates Motel & Ozark (1st season, 2nd season stopped watching), The Affair, The OA. Movies I gave 4 stars I recommend seeing: Book Club, Destination Wedding, The Foreigner, American Made, The Commuter, Like Father, Despicable Me 3, The Founder, Game Night, I Tonya, Madame, Murder on the Orient Express, The Beautiful Fantastic. Netflix Series- The Sinner (Season 1), Maniac, The Ranch, Wanted, Cuckoo, Mindhunter, Gypsy.

Wendy Webster said...

You should see it, so much fun!

Nicole said...

I have been wanting to watch The Sinner, and see Book Club and Game Night, so I am going to have to see those soon! The Founder has been on my watch list for like 7 months lol, so I am going to need to bump that up as well. I love Grace and Frankie!