Searching Movie Review - September 2018



No One Is Lost Without a Trace


This is a review for a new movie that came out August 31st, 2018 called Searching. Hubby and I went to see it recently on one of his rare days off. The movie is about a father searching for his missing 16-year-old daughter. I feel like the trailer misled me. I was expecting action, while this movie is set in an artsy way showing everything on either the father's computer shared with his wife or his daughter's computer. After watching the movie this way for ten minutes I thought to myself certainly it's not going to be like this the entire movie! Shockingly, it was! While I think it's a creative way to show a movie from the perspective of only looking at a computer, it gets old after ten minutes. I would have preferred that it was off and on, showing the computer only when he was doing research to find his missing daughter rather than every single scene from start to finish. It's supposed to be a mystery thriller yet I did not find it to be scary in any way. In the beginning, it was very sappy and emotional and I found that first scene to be too long. The middle was filled with the mystery part which I appreciate wasn't easy to figure out. I recommend trying to figure out who did it by not looking at any of the characters that it would be more likely to be or the direction the movie leads you in. Try really hard to figure out this one, that part I enjoyed. It kept my mind busy during the middle part of the movie which was the best part. I couldn't figure out the mystery and I was shocked to see who did it. I think I would watch it again on DVD from the perspective of who did it to see more pieces of the puzzle perhaps the pieces I missed. The end was also very sappy, but not as drawn out as the beginning. Overall, while I really enjoyed it, I recommend waiting until it comes out as a DVD rental unless you have nothing left to watch in the theatre. Searching is one hour and forty-two minutes and it could have easily been ten minutes shorter. The beginning tested my patience and I don't expect a thriller to be sad and sappy. Check out the trailer:



The cast's main characters include John Cho as the father, Michelle La as the daughter and Debra Messing as the detective. I enjoyed John and Debra's acting. They are shown the most, so if you are a fan of these two, this is a must see at least on DVD. Is this movie on your wish list or did you see it already? If you saw it, I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please comment below without giving away the mystery to those that haven't seen it yet.

Check out my last movie review for Crazy Rich Asians. That's one movie I recommend seeing in the theatre. Feel free to browse around my blog before you leave. Check out my Pinterest Board for links to my other blog posts that may interest you. Be a pal and share this blog post with your friends via Twitter & Facebook:


Follow this blog via Facebook
&
Have a PEACEful Day!



4 comments

Nicole said...

I've never heard of this one, but thanks for the review! I'll wait for it to come out on DVD :)

Wendy Webster said...

yw, what good movies have u seen lately?

Nicole said...

The last movie I saw was The Disaster Artist, which was really great. I was sort of fascinated by The Room and Tommy Wiseau, so it was so interesting to see what happened behind the scenes. I haven't seen any in the theaters recently though, but I have been wanting to see Crazy Rich Asians since you reviewed it, and Game Night has also gotten a lot of good reviews by people I know, so I would like to see that soon.

Wendy Webster said...

OMG, u haven't seen Game Night, watch it tonight! It is SO funny! I'd watch anything with Jason Bateman, but this one is really good. Best comedy I've seen in a long time. So few movies lately that are actually funny. Book Club is another good one with some laughs. The beginning is a little slow, but as soon as she gets on the airplane it's smooth sailing. Haven't heard of that movie, looking it up. Oh, yeah, I skipped that one, I'll have 2 check it out.