Macy's Beauty Box 4th Shipment - November 2017



November 2017


This is a review of the 4th shipment of a new monthly cosmetic sample subscription box from Macy's. It's $15 a month including shipping and handling. They included a $10 off Macy's beauty department coupon instead of the normal $5 coupon. So in the end, this one only costs $5. This month the retail value came out to $38.21. There are lots of low priced cosmetics on Macy's website and shipping is free for all beauty items. I purchased a gift set with my $10 coupon. Included in this month's box were the following product samples:
  1. Mac Cosmetics - Prep + Prime Natural Radiance Makeup Primer in Yellow,   made in the UK, 6 ml, $5.04 retail value
  2. Tarte - Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in Besti, made in the USA, 1 ml, $3.33 retail value
  3. Benefit Cosmetics - They're Real Mascara, made in France, 30 g, $8.47 retail value
  4. Lancôme - Cils Booster XL Vitamin Infused Mascara Primer, .07 fl. oz., $9.39 retail value
  5. Chanel Gabrielle Chanel Eau de Parfum, made in France, .05 fl. oz., $1.98 retail value
  6. Beauty Blender - Blotterazzi Pro, made in the USA, $10 retail value
The Mac Prep + Prime comes in pink and yellow. I received the yellow and it's suppose to be used on darker skin and I have the fairest skin so they should have sent me the pink. Unfortunately, Macy's does not personalize their boxes, instead everyone receives the same samples. Considering they are $5 more than similar cosmetic sample subscriptions, there really is no excuse for them not sending the correct shades and personalizing the boxes they send their customers. This primer is for oily to combination skin and it's suppose to prime the skin prior to the application of foundation. My skin tends to be on the dry side now that I'm older, it use to be considered combination skin. The reviews are very good and most impressive is that they say it keeps foundation from settling in fine lines. It leaves a bit of a sticky feeling I don't care for and it takes a bit too long to sink in and dry. I prefer the smooth and soft feeling of Smashbox, Laura Gellar and Julep's primers. I'm so very disappointed in the Tarte Matte Lip Paint. It goes on like paint, so that's a good name for it. It's too watery for my taste. You have to be really careful because it wants to run off your lips like water and you have to apply it quickly since it dries so quickly. It's left a bit of a rough, dry feeling that shows every wrinkle on my lips. It feels like it has sucked out all the moisture on my lips. Not a fan to say the least. I'm actually wanting to remove it, it feels that dry and annoying. I prefer Smashbox and Kat Von D's versions. Even the drugstore version from Covergirl is better. The Tarte brand leaves me very unimpressed lately. I have received a sample of They're Real Mascara many times before and I really like it. I haven't purchased the full size version because I receive so many mascara samples in my subscription boxes that I don't need to purchase any very often. When I do it's in a set, so I get it at a much cheaper price than retail. I'm not a fan of mascara primers, I prefer to limit the amount of products I use and that's a step I feel isn't important and easily skipped. This one says to apply mascara immediately after when the primer is wet. I guess I should have read the directions before, because the times I have used it, I waited for it to dry while doing another part of my makeup routine. I love the scent of the original Chanel perfume, this new one is nice, but I prefer the original. Gabrielle has notes jasmine, ylang-ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. The Blotterazi isn't getting great reviews and I received one in a subscription box before. It's suppose to be used in place of blotting papers, but those that have tried it aren't impressed. I think it would be better to use to apply concealer or blend foundation. I think it would take off your makeup rather than just blot off the oil. I don't have oily skin, so it's not a product I need or would use. Finishing powders work better for me at removing any sweat during the humid summer months.

I would have guessed my favorite item in the box would have been the lip paint, but it's drying out my lips and it's a very nude color, so I have to say the mascara is my favorite. This is my least favorite box I've received so far from Macy's. It's a good thing they doubled the coupon or I'd be very unhappy. As far as cosmetic sample boxes go, I think there are better values offered from Sephora and Ipsy for $5 less. Only one of the four Macy's boxes so far have had a value close to that of the competitors. Not to mention I keep getting samples that I've already received from other subscriptions months ago or even years ago. The only thing better in this box are the cosmetics bags, they are of higher quality and have attractive designs. If you can only afford one subscription I'd go with Sephora if you want only prestige brands and Ipsy if you don't mind a mix of prestige brands and new and less expensive brands. Ipsy wasn't a very good one for awhile, but lately they have really improved, so I just resubscribed after a four year break! Stay tuned, it was suppose to arrive today, but since they use DHL, the worst shipper, it's been delayed. It's taking a six day trip to get here from the warehouse when it's actually only a 2 1/2 hour drive away! Shocking! What's your favorite cosmetic subscription box?

Also, check out my Macy's Beauty Box Pinterest Board to see the previous three boxes I've received from Macy's. In addition, check out my Subscription Box Pinterest Board to see what other boxes I've subscribed to over the years. Plus, don't forget to enter my current giveaway before you leave. 

Bargain Alert:

Mr. Rebates -5% Cash Back from Macy's

I'd be so grateful if you would share this blog post with friends by clicking on the Google red box (G+1) at the very top of this page or via Twitter and Facebook by clicking their boxes here:

Have a PEACEful Day!


No comments