Duck Donuts Review - Cary, NC

100 Wrenn Drive, #101
Cary, NC  27511
(919) 468-8722


Exterior View


Interior View


Strawberry Frosted & Maple Bacon Donuts - $1.40 Each


To Go Donut Box


I finally got around to giving Duck Donuts a try. Have you? You might be asking why the name Duck Donuts. One doesn't think of ducks when it comes to donuts. It's the name of the city in North Carolina in which they started with one location in 2006. It's in an area close to the Outer Banks. They serve lots of sweet tooth beach vacationers and they were so popular they opened some more locations inland. Now they have a whopping 215 franchise locations in 24 states, wow! Nearby there is also a location in Raleigh and Durham, I'm reviewing the location in Cary. Duck Donuts does things a little different, the donuts are made to order and you decide what you want on it. All of them are vanilla cake donuts which are served hot. They cost $1.40 each, $7.50 for 1/2 a dozen or $13.50 for one dozen. They also serve coffee, espresso, iced coffee, hot chocolate, and tea plus donut breakfast sandwiches. Their current sanitation grade is 98% which is very good. We found it a bit intimidating deciding what to put on our donuts. Check out their menu:



Thankfully, the friendly and welcoming cashier showed us a menu on the counter which gave us some suggestions. Out of those options shown on the menu, I chose strawberry frosting with sprinkles and hot fudge. Hubby chose maple frosting with bacon bits. After paying you walk to the rear of the store and wait for them to make your donuts. There are only a couple of tables since they keep the rear of the store free of tables to accommodate standing customers waiting for their donuts. If you are in a rush, I recommend ordering online. I think they should have some donuts premade for those that don't want hot donuts nor have the time to wait for them to be made. There are times when one doesn't have time to preplan and order online. This would be especially helpful when they are very busy. I noticed that the staff making the donuts weren't wearing hair nets. The teenaged employee was whipping her very long ponytail around which I found unappetizing. Also, her back was towards us and the toppings bar is against the wall. I think they should flip the bar around so it's easier for the customers to see them being made. My first job other than babysitting at 15 years of age was as a cashier at a nonfranchise donut shop. The line was out the door on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It always smelled so good!

Hubby absolutely loved his donut and has been craving it ever since. I, on the other hand, didn't care for the vanilla cake donut being served hot and I don't think the employee put enough frosting on it. She dipped it only once, I think it needed another dip. Hubby agreed, he would have liked more frosting. If you've ever made vanilla cupcakes at home and didn't have the patience to wait for it to cool to take a bite, it tastes like that but with a different texture. I don't care for warm cake, I prefer mine at room temperature. Of course, I could have waited until the donut cooled, but we weren't going straight home and it was too hot of a day to keep them in the car. Hubby would return for another donut, but I prefer the taste of Krispy Kreme's donuts and the quick service via their drive-thru. Just thinking about them makes me want to drive over there and get some, yum! The only donuts I like warm are Krispy Kreme's Glazed Donuts and Raspberry Filled warmed up for ten seconds in the microwave. Grab a fork and dive into a heavenly delicious sensation! I use to be a big fan of Dunkin Donuts until we moved to North Carolina, the birthplace of Krispy Kreme. The fresh donuts from their stores are so much tastier than the older ones bought in the grocery store. I went from liking Krispy Kreme Donuts to loving them. If you have a store nearby, it's worth the trip, their texture and flavor are so much better when you get them freshly made! I resist the temptation to buy them in the grocery store now. So what's your favorite brand of donuts and do you like them hot or at room temperature? 

I've also reviewed Krispy Kreme Donuts and the Chipotle next door to Duck Donuts, check those out before you go. Do you have any restaurant suggestions for the Triangle? If so, please comment below! Be sure to check out my Restaurant Reviews Pinterest Board for more reviews in the Triangle & the Triad. I invite you to follow my blog via InstagramPinterestTwitter, and Bloglovin'

Follow this blog via Facebook
&
Have a PEACEful Day!

Duck Donuts Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato



4 comments

Nicole said...

I'm sorry you didn't love your donut, I'm the same way, I like mine cooled and don't think I would like that experience. But they both looked amazing!

Wendy Webster said...

Yeah, they do look tasty. That's why I'm surprised they don't offer some premade donuts for those that prefer to grab and go rather than wait and watch.

Terra Heck said...

That bacon donut looks pretty yummy. Like you, I prefer my donuts to be room temp and not hot. I like that there's so many donut options available but I'd be a little put off having to stand there and think of what combo of toppings I wanted. We have a Dunkin Donuts where I live. It was built a couple years ago and has went way downhill. They are always running out of product and they don't seem interested in even getting an order right.

Wendy Webster said...

Use to love Dunkin Donuts now they have bad management and the donuts aren't anywhere near as tasty. Such a shame!