Widows Movie Review - November 2018



Widows

Starring:

Viola Davis as Veronica
Michelle Rodriguez as Linda
Elizabeth Debicki as Alice
Cynthia Erivo as Belle
Liam Neeson as Veronica's husband
Colin Ferrell as a politician
Robert Duvall as politician's father


This is a review of a movie called Widows that was released on November 16th, 2018. It's listed as a crime, drama, thriller movie. It is two hours and ten minutes long. I wanted to see it because I thought it was a movie about four women whose husband died during a robbery gone wrong who take over the family business with gusto. Take a look at the trailer and see what impression you get from it:



The beginning of the movie starts out well moving right into the action and it's exciting. Shortly thereafter it moves into Veronica's apartment who is the main character played by Viola Davis. Her husband is played by Liam Neeson. You are given a bit of the backstory showing the marital relationships of three of the four wives. While the husbands are killed off early in the movie, the main story that I thought the movie was about didn't occur until the end of the movie which was very disappointing. The middle was filled with what seemed like endless scenes of the two politicians running for office and the violence against the innocent. It felt more like a series than a movie. Most movies don't have a lot of scenes and they hold your attention better that way than a series in which you watch a little at a time for weeks. I really wanted to leave during the middle of the movie, it was so boring, depressing, overly gory and too political. I noticed that we weren't the only ones getting restless. There is one scene that I had to close my eyes for in which Veronica's West Highland White Terrier was abused. I despise movies that show the abuse of animals. It's totally not necessary. If I had been watching this at home on DVD I would have fast forwarded through the abuse of the innocent, the murder scenes and all of the political scenes. I really feel like this movie missed the mark. It could have been an action-packed exciting women power go-getter type of movie. There were two disappointing scenes during the robbery in which the widows lacked courage, so it was quite the opposite of what I was sold by the trailer. I feel like this movie was more of a political statement than a movie for entertainment. I appreciate that the director said thank you for coming to see the movie before the movie started, but I certainly do not appreciate him pushing his politics on me. He certainly isn't going to change my views. There is a twist in this movie that was exciting, but it was kept until the end. I would recommend either waiting until it comes out on DVD to rent it so you can fast forward through the boring and disturbing parts or skip it entirely. My husband felt the same about the movie. It was sold as an action flick and it had very little of that. If it hadn't been for Viola's superb acting I would have definitely exited the theatre during the middle of the movie. The Alice character was also entertaining. I hope to see both of them in more movies soon.

The next movie I'd like to see is Instant Family and I can't wait to see Mary Poppins Returns on December 19th. What movies have you seen lately? Feel free to browse around my blog before you leave. Take a look at my Movie Reviews Pinterest Board to see what other movies I have reviewed. Be a pal and share this blog post with your friends via Twitter & Facebook:


Follow this blog via Facebook
&
Have a PEACEful Day!


No comments