25th Blue Apron Meal Kit Review



Roast Half Chicken & Yogurt Sauce with Potatoes, Zucchini & Olive Tapenade


Recipe Results


BBQ Pork Burgers with Crispy Zucchini Fries & Smoky Ketchup


Recipe Results


Seared Chicken over Pearl Couscous with Peppers, Zucchini & Caper Butter Sauce Recipe Results


This is a review of our 25th delivery from a weekly food subscription box called Blue Apron. This week we gave all three recipes three out of five stars. The calories ranged from 640 to 840. Preparation time stated on the recipe cards ranges from thirty-five to fifty minutes. Actual preparation time was from fifty-seven minutes to an hour.

Roast Half Chicken & Yogurt Sauce

We gave this recipe three out of five stars. I enjoy having half a roasted chicken for dinner, but this was one quarter of a chicken per serving which I consider to be a lunch portion, so that was disappointing. Out of all the meal kit companies, Blue Apron leans on the side of skimping on proteins more often than I would like. I'd prefer more chicken and less potatoes. The use of Niçoise olives & red wine vinegar made the dish too tart. The yogurt sauce was yummy. The chicken was tasty with the addition of the Hero Spice Blend made with onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and whole dried parsley. This one took fifty-seven minutes to prepare while the recipe card states up to fifty. This recipe has 790 calories.

BBQ Pork Burgers

We gave this recipe three out of five stars, we weren't crazy about the flavor of pork for a burger rather than beef. We also didn't care for the whole grain dijon mustard being mixed into the ground pork prior to cooking. It was just too much and it couldn't be removed at that point unlike just adding it to the top of a burger. I'm not a fan of BBQ sauce, so it's no surprise I didn't care for it in this recipe. I thought I'd love the panko breading on the zucchini, but it wasn't impressive. Normally, I love fried zucchini, but that's with a traditional batter. Perhaps it was the addition of grated parmesan cheese that I didn't like. The zucchini sticks were in desperate need of some tzatziki sauce. The potato buns were tasty, fresh and soft. This recipe has 840 calories and it was a healthy portion. It took an hour to prepare while the recipe card states up to forty-five minutes preparation time.

Seared Chicken over Pearl Couscous

We forgot to take a photo of the ingredients, so only the recipe results are shown above. We gave this recipe three out of five stars. I didn't realize when I ordered this one that it included pearl couscous that I hate rather than the regular yellow kind that I love. It has no flavor and has a horrible texture, in the trash it went. I wont be making that mistake again. The chicken, capers and sweet peppers were tasty, but not as exciting as their recipes usually are. All the zucchini was accidentally used in the other two Blue Apron recipes that week, so we had none left for this one. The picture of the zucchini is the in BBQ Pork Burger photo above. That's one complaint I have for Blue Apron, they do not separate the ingredients for the three recipes like the competition does. Sometimes I take the time to separate them and bag them up and that week I didn't. Another complaint I have is that they repeat ingredients often. It will be one vegetable that repeats in several of the recipes for the week and then week after week when it's in season. Every recipe this week had zucchini! Thankfully, we love zucchini. My favorite is cooking it on the grill with Emeril's original spice mix and lots of olive oil, yum! This one has 640 calories and it was a healthy portion. I don't have a preparation time on this one since we forgot to take an ingredient photo with a time stamp. The recipe card states up to forty-five minutes preparation time.

It was just an ok week of recipes, nothing exciting nor worth repeating. The next week of recipes was so much tastier, stay tuned for that review. What's your favorite food subscription box? Anyone know of a low carb food subscription box? It's quite frustrating trying to find low carb meal kits for Hubby. We have been altering the recipes for him which usually means leaving something out and as a result less food. Don't forget to enter my current giveaway for a meal kit box from Blue Apron and check out my Pinterest Subscription Box Board and Pinterest Blue Apron Board.

Bargain Alert: 

Hello Fresh - $40 off
Home Chef - $30 Off
Sun Basket - $40 Off

I invite you to follow my blog via PinterestTwitterGoogle +Bloglovin', or Networked Blogs. Please help me out by sharing this post via Twitter & Facebook:

Follow this blog via Facebook
&
Have a PEACEful Day!


No comments