Play! by Sephora Subscription Box Review - December 2016


The Partygoers


This is a review of a monthly cosmetics subscription box from Sephora called Play!It's only $10 per month including shipping! Each month they send six samples of high end cosmetics sold at Sephora. The approximate retail value of this month's box is $40.81. Included in the December box were the following products:
  1. Make Up Forever - Skin Equalizer Smoothing Primer, .16 fl. oz., made in Japan, $5.92 retail value
  2. Urban Decay - All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, .5 fl. oz., made in the USA, $7.50 retail value
  3. Bobbi Brown - Smokey Eye Mascara, .1 oz, made in Italy, $15 retail value
  4. Sephora - Cream Lip Stain in the color Always Red, .03 fl. oz., made in Italy, $2.48 retail value (received two)
  5. Drybar - Detox Dry Shampoo, .8 oz, made in the USA, $7.42 retail value
  6. Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon Perfume, .05 fl. oz., $2.49 retail value (missing from box) 
I received two lip stains and the perfume was missing from my box. I emailed Sephora about the mistake, but I haven't heard back yet and it's been three days. I may have to call and see if I can reach them, but I'm not a fan of staying on hold waiting for a representative. If you're a subscriber, have you ever had any missing products from your box? This is my first time experience having a missing product, so I don't know if they give a credit or ship the missing product. It's quite disappointing since there are only six items in the box and I have no need for red lipstick and I was looking forward to trying the perfume.

I'm a bit sick of receiving primer samples since I have more than I can use and a little goes a long way. The Make Up Forever primer comes in a medium skintone. It dries really quickly and leaves a smooth surface on the skin. My favorite primer is Laura Geller's Spackle and Julep's Primer.

I've received a sample of the Urban Decay Setting Spray before in a subscription box. I'm not a big fan since it's so wet. It feels like you are spraying water on your face after going to all the trouble of doing your makeup. It makes me nervous that I'm going to use to much and ruin my makeup. Though I did hear in line at Trader Joe's from a cashier that it works really well for her after the customer before me complimented her makeup and it's staying power. It doesn't have much of a scent, it would have been nice if they added a little lavender essential oil. Maybe I'll give it a try again. I'm more likely to use it in the summer since it has a cooling effect and it will dry faster.

I've also received a sample of Bobbi Brown's mascara before. I recall it was nice, but not worth purchasing since it's so expensive. I find drugstore brands are just as good as the more expensive brands, so mascara isn't a product I splurge on. I find some mascara samples are very dry and you only get one or two applications out of it. Be sure not to wait too long to use a mascara sample since I find they dry out quickly and don't have as long as a shelf life as do their full size versions.

I received two of the lip stain samples by mistake. I'm not a fan of wearing red, so I was disappointed to receive the lip stain in the color Always Red. I think red lipstick looks nice on a small percentage of the population. It's so pretty on those that can carry it off though. Thankfully, it looks a bit darker on the lips than in the container which was very difficult to open. It goes on matte and I find it makes my teeth look whiter which happens when a lipstick has some blue color in it. It feels a bit dry on the lips. For someone who has a habit of rolling their lips together it's not a pleasant feeling. The applicator is a bit rough, it needs more padding. It transferred to my teeth, so be sure to use a tissue to blot. It also transferred to my drinking straw. I'm so use to wearing gloss that this would take a bit of getting use to. I'll wear it in the house, perhaps I'll be daring enough to wear it out if I can find blush and eye shadows that look good with it. Any suggestions on that? 

I use to dislike receiving dry shampoo samples, but I've learned that they are helpful the day after shampooing with Wen when I didn't take enough time to fully rinse it out and my hair looks a bit oily as a result. It reduces that oily look on the hair and gives it a bit of volume like a light hairspray would. This one has less of a white powder look to it, so I found that I didn't need to brush through it though I have blonde hair. Perhaps if your hair is a dark color you would still need to brush or comb through it. I have been enjoying my dry shampoo samples, but I doubt I'd purchase a full bottle. It's one of those products I can live without, so I'd rather spend it on lipstick or lip gloss.

I'm sad to say that the perfume sample was not included in my box. I'm not usually a fan of receiving perfume samples, but this was a scent I wanted to try and the nearest Sephora is almost an hour drive one way.

What's your favorite subscription box? This month's box was a disappointment to me. Check out my Play! by Sephora Pinterest Board to see what I have received in my previous boxes. Also, check out my Subscription Box Pinterest Board to see what other boxes I've subscribed to over the years. In addition, don't forget to enter my current giveawayHelp me out by sharing this blog post with friends by clicking on the Google red box (G+1) at the very top of this page or via Twitter and Facebook by clicking their boxes here:

Have a PEACEful Day!

No comments